1) Many husbands still find it difficult to render total support to their wives’ careers, particularly if their wives earn more than they do. What does render mean?
2) Running a clandestine operation-such as an underground newspaper in a dictatorship, a network of spies, or an undercover police investigation-is difficult and often highly dangerous. What does clandestine mean?
3) The elephant was deeply enmeshed in the fabric of Thai life. For centuries, it served as Thailand’s main code of transportation; its image graced temples, palaces, and the national flag. What does enmeshed mean?
4) Identifying the age of layers of rock also fixes the age of fossils that are within those layers. What does fixes mean?
D. Casts doubt on
5) When we interact, we behave like actors by following a script that we have learned. When someone enters a doctor’s waiting room, for instance, he or she assumes the role of patient. What does assumes mean?
D. Takes on
6) No one knows how humans acquired the concept of cooking food, but their first experience of cooking was probably fortuitous: very likely, some meat fell into a fire by accident. What does fortuitous mean?
7) The Amazonian forest in Brazil is so expansive that it influences weather and climate patterns. What does expansive mean?
8) Good communication between marriage partners can often mitigate the stress caused by physical signs of aging, changes in work status or satisfaction, and death of close relatives and friends. What does mitigate mean?
D. Add to
9) In the early 1900s, sums paid to widows with dependent children were meager, ranging from $2 to $14 a month for the first child and lesser amounts for the rest. What does meager mean?
10) Government entails those political processes that have to do with the forming of rules and policies which are binding throughout a society. What does entails mean?